Welcome to Futures.
I am proud to share with you a Magna Academy initiative called Futures Online. This concept was tentatively launched in Autumn 2020 with a letter to parents, followed by our first Futures Newsletter.
I now want to properly share Futures Online with all of you and our students.
As teachers know, the very best futures-focused education involves students being able to learn from employers, academics and admission tutors about their jobs, courses and different pathways.
Currently, the Coronavirus pandemic means that we cannot invite people in to the Academy. But, ever resourceful, we have ensured instead that the provision has gone online. In fact, a positive development from lockdown is the number of videos and live events that employers, universities and other providers are offering towards Futures education.
Magna Futures Online will recommend opportunities to students and will provide them with the links to easily access these events.
We hope you like it and that your children find it empowering in considering all the available pathways open to them.
- developing transferable skills, such as communication and team working
- understanding how organisations work or bringing a job they have read about to life
- building confidence in interacting with adults
- confirming interest in a career or (equally useful!) deciding it is not for them
- a foot in the door – if they impress the employer they may be asked back on a more formal arrangement such as an internship or encouraged to apply when vacancies arise.
- providing valuable content for a UCAS personal statement to give evidence of an interest in a particular subject/occupation
Click here to visit the GOV.UK site and find out about: Apprenticeships