The new Y7 boys Football team travelled to North Dorset on a wet Thursday afternoon to make their debut in the first round of the Dorset County Cup.

After a frantic start where both teams struggled to get to ball down and play on a wet and slippery surface, Magna conceded a penalty and found themselves 1-0 down after 10 minutes. Magna would not be behind for long though, as winger Gustas J managed to latch on to a through ball and apply a smart finish into the corner to level the game. This goal proved to be just what the Year 7s needed to ignite their confidence and they started to control the game. This paid off not 5 minutes later when striker Aaron H did really well to connect to an excellent through ball before striking the ball past the goalkeeper into the far corner. Half time and Magna led 2-1.

With the job far from done, Magna looked to secure the victory in the second half. Gustas J would smash his second of the afternoon home from the edge of the area to extend Magna’s advantage to 2 goals. This excellent finish helped to put one foot in the second round with just 15 minutes to play. During the last phase of the game, Magna did really well to absorb the pressure from their opponents and deal with several corners and break-away attacks both calmly and effectively. Defenders Olivier P, Miguel L and Taylor V, along with substitutes Leo T and Zak Q battled really well and remained solid in order for Magna to see the game out at 3-1. Onto round 2!

Special mentions must also go to goalkeeper Kayden W whose cool and composed approach, as well as his faultless ball handling and sweeping, set the tone for the rest of the team throughout the entire game. Centre midfielders Finn J, Trey T and George G were instrumental in connecting defence to attack and imposing their dominance in the heart of midfield. Wingers Gustas J, Charlie W, Jack P and Lewis H worked really hard to play the ‘wing back’ role in providing support in both defence and attack whilst striker Aaron H was always a threat with pace playing on the shoulder of their last man and unlocking the defence on several occasions. The man of the match award was very well contested and could have gone to a number of players, however it was awarded to Taylor V for his mightily impressive ability to read the game and his exceptional involvements in both defence and attack throughout the entire game.

This victory came as a result of an excellent team effort. Coach Neil and I were super impressed with the team spirit and character that the Year 7s displayed throughout their debut performance and we can’t wait to go again after half term, where a home tie awaits in round 2.

Well done boys!

Mr Ginger and Coach Neil

This site uses cookies